Friday, March 21, 2014

Stand

I feel like a candle,
In a hurricane
Just like a picture
My crazy songwriting brain takes in all of the pop rock music of stand, sung by Cassadee Pope on the Voice. Scientifically, actually everyone does. The reason that they like the song is determined by whether the song matches or exceeds their standards. But my brain was actually writing the next line, word for word, and putting my own little twists on it. I put this into my subconsciousness and keep watching Cassadee.
With a broken frame.
Alone and helpless,
like you've lost your bite
But you'll be alright, you'll be alright.
I little smile comes over Cassadee's face when she sings the lyrics. So far this song has been good, if not great, but the chorus is up next. One of the many things I love about Cassadee Pope is that she loves almost exactly the same type of music as me.
Cause when push, comes to shove
You'll taste what, you're made of
You might bend 'till you break
Cause that's all you can take
The amazingly catchy, creative pop rock chorus takes hold of me immediately. Cassadee is suddenly really into the lyrics and the song, like she always is. Watching her sing, full of energy and really connecting to the lyrics, I think that this is why she won The Voice. It's also why she's one of the main influences to my performing and my songwriting and my style of music. Go pop rock! The chorus starts to close out.
On your knees, you look up
Just like you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong, wipe your hands, shake it off
Then you stand...then you stand
I love the Voice. This song is also amazing. Cassadee's brown hair flops in her eyes is the lights dim almost unnoticeably for the second verse. The blue and white light of people' glow sticks illuminate her face.
Life's like a novel, with the end ripped out
The edge of a canyon, with only one way down
It's amazing how Cassadee can tell a story in her songs. That's also why she won the Voice. And she can sing all of these lyrics like she's connected to every one of them, which knowing Cassadee, which I do by the way, she is.
Take what you're given, before it's gone, and start holding on
Keep holding on...

'Cause when push, comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause that's all, you can take
On your knees you look up,
Decide you've, had enough
You get mad you get strong, 
wipe your hands, shake it off
You get mad...
then you stand...
Cassadee then holds the last note out, and brings it up a half step. She's a really good singer. Like, really good. The song rockets up a half step into the climax,
On your knees, you look up
Just like you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong,
wipe your hands, shake if off
Then you stand...yeah
Yeah you stand, yeah...
Red, white, and orange lights flash behind Cassadee, the crowd is going crazy, like normal. All four coaches are applauding already, including Blake, and fog fills the room. It might sound kind of cheesy on paper, but it was awesome. Another really great performance on the Voice for Cassadee. Even though this is like the 23rd time I've watched it. I love The Voice. And I really hope that Cassadee wins (spoiler alert she does)!
Then you stand...
If you want to see what you're missing (I sound like a commercial) go to the comments for a hyperlink to Stand ( and watch her other stuff it's even more amazing):



2 comments: