Monday, March 3, 2014

SOL 3/31/ L.A.

We gently roll of the highway as I look at my directions. I still can't help feeling super cool in our new shiny white car, even if it is a rental with a broken heater. And a Kia. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it is the official car sponsor of The Voice. Why do my thoughts always circle back around to The Voice?
My dad's voice rings out, shaking me out of my reverie."Sarah, what parking lot are we supposed to be in"? I try to find the map that my dad had given me about five seconds before and I had randomly put down somewhere. Do you ever get that feeling. I reach down into my jeans pocket and realize-oh wait, I'm wearing a dress. So that's the thing that I forgot to tell you; we're in L.A., going to the Grammys. Yeah, it's pretty sweet. It was kind of like a 13th birthday present because 13 is all special and stuff like that, kind of  my dad is a lawyer and got free VIP tickets from his client type thing. But anyways, I was there. Almost. Just around the corner...
My dad looks to turn onto the street that led to our parking lot, called "Figueroa Street", and...it's blocked. A guy with curly dark hair shaved close to his head, and a shiny neon traffic director bib runs up to us. "How can I help you", he asks. We show him our pale blue parking passes, and he points to the next street. "Go that way, and the make the first right on Pico Blvd. Then take the first right."
We do as he says, and drive right by the Staples Center where the Grammys are being held. So freaking close!!! We keep driving and promptly encounter some police officers, blocking off the road. We show them our pass, and they give us some directions that are totally different then the last guy. My dad rolls up the window. "Okay..." I say. At least these guys are police officers and look like they know what they're doing. We take about 10 minutes to follow their instructions and go about 2 streets over, because of the traffic-oh, we did see Wiz Khalifa, that was pretty cool, and come to where the lot is supposed to be, and find these guys blocking off the street, who we show are parking passes. I've seen these pale blue parking passes so much in the last hour that I start making comparisons. I think that they look like the artificial blue lolli-pops they give the little kids at the doctors office, or maybe the blue font option on a computer. Anyways, the people don't let us through. Long story short, we end up just paying 15 dollars and parking in a side lot close to the Staples Center. We missed most of the pre-telecast, but you know. Whatever.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the story and the adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the detail of the broken heater at the beginning of the post. It is such a small thing, but really adds a new layer. This line: "I've seen these pale blue parking passes so much in the last hour that I start making comparisons. I think that they look like the artificial blue lolli-pops they give the little kids at the doctors office, or maybe the blue font option on a computer," is perfect. Such a different way to look at a mundane object.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you describe a lot of the things that stood out for you. I really helped tell the story.

    ReplyDelete