Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Huckleberry Finn

This week I read Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. It is also the sequel to another Mark Twain book called Tom Sawyer, which most of you probably read (I haven't). You can still read Huckleberry Finn if you have not read Tom Sawyer, though. Huckleberry Finn is about a boy named (guess what?) Huckleberry Finn. The book starts with him in the home of someone who is apparently his foster mom, completely disobeying her orders and joining a gang. It doesn't seem very serious though, that's kind of the whole point of the book. It's about a boy who I think is about eight, maybe a little bit older who doesn't really know anything about the world, who has to make some pretty serious decisions. The book is written from his viewpoint, so that makes it really entertaining to read.It's actually kind of funny, and the writing and storyline is too. It is, though, in Southern-ish dialect so that makes it a little harder to read, but it's not awful or anything. Anyways, Huck Finn eventually gets basically captured by his dad, who's a stupid drunk, basically. He escapes and finds a former slave that he knows, Jim. He has to decide if he is going to help Jim escape or watch him be sold as a slave.
I won't give too much away, because I don't want to ruin it. Right now I am about 20 pages from the end, so I haven't finished it yet, but pretty much everything has been resolved, and I can predict the rest.
I think that this book is a classic for a couple reasons. One is that it just fits all of the standards the a "classic books" kind of fit in. It has that 'the journey is more important then the outcome view, although the outcome is still pretty important. It probably might have had some new view on slaves at the time, too? I really don't know. It's also just great writing; the viewpoint is pretty amazing. I would agree that this book is a classic, for all of these reasons. I wouldn't call it lifechanging or anything like that quite yet, and I'm almost at the end of the book, but it's pretty funny and interesting and definitely worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a really good book. Did you ever figure out why did Tari not want some of us to read this until college?

    ReplyDelete