Sunday, December 15, 2013

Slice of Life

I look at the river. Then the people behind me. My friend raises her eyebrows. And then I stare out at the long line, only about as thick as my fingers, spanning the huge, white-water river in front of me. I'm excited; I love stuff like this. We're about 20-30 feet up in the air, on a platform which Abby has made clear to me has no railings (sorry, Abby). The harness gives me a tug, bringing me up on my tiptoes and almost sending me flying off the platform not be choice. the guy tightening my harnesses looks at me and gives me a thumbs-up.  "You ok?" he asks. "Great", I say. He goes over how to slow down, how to speed up again, and how to rescue myself if I get stuck in the middle of the zipline, over that raging river. Great. Well, I did volunteer to go first. As soon as he finishes, I close my eyes and jump-fall off the platform and start sliding. Fast. The wind and spray from the water whip against my face. Forgetting about everything, I almost spread my arms out to the side, but then remember that I'm supposed to keep my arms on the zipline. I remember that I'm racing Katie, and look over to see that I had probably started ahead of her; she's way behind me. I'm starting to slow down, and end up just sliding gently down the rest of the line. I end up stumbling onto the platform on the other side, and getting fist-bumps and high fives from the people on the other end. Then they harness me up to go across the swaying bridge. Double-great.

2 comments:

  1. I love the opening to your post. You do not go right out and say what you are doing, but your descriptions are vivid and keep me wanting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you wrote it. Zip-lining is fun.

    ReplyDelete