Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Slice of Life #2 Skiing at Snowmass

hi- I was going to write about something that I do everyday, but decided to write about this instead:).
The sun shines on my goggles, reflecting off of the snow around me as we swing through the air. This is my first time skiing since last year, and I'm excited. But hell, it's cold. I pull up my coat over my nose and breathe out, fogging up my goggles. The chairlift comes to a stop and we slide off, regaining our balance. We look ahead to see the volunteer giving out warm apple cider. Jack and I look at each other, and he says "let's get some", his breath creating huge clouds in the air. The warm cups return the feeling in my hand and make it sting. I start to shuffle around to the trash can to throw my cup away and then realize that this huge old guy is in my way. Instead, I judge the distance really carefully and then throw it towards the opening of the trash can, missing the guy's stomach by about an inch and sailing off the corner of the trash can into the opening. I scream "yeah!" and pump my fist, and turn around to see my dad raising his eyebrows at me. "Ready?" he asks, and starts to ski away. I push off the edges of my skis and jump to gain momentum, and then start gliding down the ramp leading to the main slope. I take one last longing glance at the warm, lit-upbarbecue place, Sam's No. 3, and slide out onto the main slope, the sun dazzling my eyes.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the first sentence. It really hooks the reader in

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love skiing! its one of my favorite sports, but I've never been to snowmass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I really want to learn how to snowboard. Where do you go skiing?

    ReplyDelete